Saturday, December 26, 2009

Reproductively Challenged?

Hi, people! (re-edited on Feb 12, 2013)

What shall I write here as an introduction? Well, I'm an Indo girl who moved to Finland to be with my Finnish hubby (I'm 31, hubby's almost 39). We've been TTC since May 2008. I started taking BCP since August 2006 and I stopped taking them in January 2008. We started using condoms for 3 months and then we stopped using any protection. At first we were still half worried and half excited about the prospect of being pregnant. I think I started REALLY wanting to be pregnant about two months after our first try.

A year after TTC, I went to the lab to get my blood tested (well, the gyno told me to do that first). I did two blood tests and they came out OK. Then I got busy doing other stuff (so taking more tests was put on the lowest level of priority) and then I visited my family back in Indo for a month alone, so now that I'm back to Finland again we've talked about what to do and we decided not to pursue any kind of medical treatments. We decided not to get tested any further.

The past few months I've been browsing around for infertility blogs and so I decided to create one 'coz I just don't want to bombard the regular readers of my main blog with this kind of topic. I just thought it'd be better if I created another blog mainly to write about my infertility journey and the ups and downs...or I can also write about other things here. We'll see about that.

Anyway, back to our decision. Why make this decision so early? First of all, I don't want any one of us to feel bad if it's found out that one of us is having "problems". If both of us are having problems, maybe it won't cause too much "trouble" (maybe, I don't know). Secondly, if we pursue any kind of medical treatments, I'm TOO afraid of getting our hopes HIGH up there to cloud number 9 and then if they fail, it's gonna hurt SO MUCH MORE. It already hurts so much now (and there are some months when I feel that I'm WAY too obsessed about counting down to the day when I'd get my period "late")...what do I expect to feel when medical treatments don't work? I just don't think I'd be able to handle it.

That's why we came up with the decision. I don't know if it's a temporary decision or not. Again we'll see about that. I've had some bad months and some rather easy months. I'll write more about this later, I guess. I think for now this introduction should be enough.

Photo taken from here


P.S. So far I've only used ovulation test kits 4 times. My menstrual cycle is quite long (around 31-43 days - I'd say on average it's around 35-36 days), so I get less chance to get pregnant in a year than women who have a shorter menstrual cycle. During the 4 times I used the ovulation test kits, it showed a + sign on CD 21 and 22.

Additional info (22.10.2012): We've been surrendering to life without kids for the past two years (or maybe a year and a half 'coz in the beginning I kept going back and forth to wanting to have kids again). We've told both sets of parents about this decision. We're focusing on making the best of our life together as a couple and enjoying each other's company and cherishing our relationship. Bye bye TTC and hello "empty nest" period! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS for dropping by and for leaving a comment. :-) I truly appreciate it. :-)