Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Unexpected

The other day a grandma came to the store and while loading her groceries to the till, she started this convo with me:

G: Aren't you cold here in Lapland?
Me: Cold? No.
G: Is it ever cold in your home country?
Me: Nah. The lowest temp is probably +18'C.
G: Do you miss your home country?
Me: Sometimes, but not that much.
G: Oooohhhh...what made you move here?
Me: My Finnish hubby.
G: Do you have kids?
Me: No. 

I was holding my breath a little, getting myself psyched up for what she was going to say next if it was baby related topic still.

THANKFULLY, this is what she said instead:

G: Ah, I'm just SO glad to have you here in Sodankylä.
Me: (BIG SMILE) THANK YOU!!!! :-D 

P.S. Another grandpa whom I had never met before said a similar thing: I'm glad to have you here. Don't ever go back to your home country! HA HA HA HA HA HA...


 

4 comments:

  1. That is SOOOO lovely! We do brace ourselves for the negative comments, so the positive ones are so much more welcome. I'm smiling at the thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mali: Yeah, I was really afraid she was going to say something "typical", but turned out it was really a LOVELY surprise for me. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really really sweet! And so nice that it didn't go "there".

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for dropping by and for leaving a comment. :-) I truly appreciate it. :-)